Saturday, April 8, 2017

Summer 2017 ~ Journey of Accompaniment


            Over the past few months, I opened my sails trusting the wind to catch hold and start directing the summer journey of 2017. The course is still being set, but the path is full of amazing opportunities and adventures. As I concluded my 39th year of life, I shared with many that this year leading to my 40th birthday would be one not to forget and hopefully full of unforgettable moments with friends, family, and new people. This year, I would also believe and take intentional action on my Simple Smile engaging the depths of it and my passions.
Ghanaian Naming Ceremony
Thus, I am here embarking on a journey of accompaniment to walk alongside, sharing with and learning from others across the street and around the world. It is about a sense of family, friendship, and community where we come together mutually fulfilling one another creating a space for cooperation, learning, sustainability, vulnerability, compassion, and unconditional love.
I look forward to you accompanying me as well. See more about how to join me in spirit, physically, and/or financially below but first more about the journey.

Where am I going and what am I doing?
Late May for 11 Days ~ Rehab Clinic in Villa Nueva, Guatemala with Move Together
Move Together is a non-profit organization whose mission is to increase access to quality rehabilitation medicine around the world. They collaborate with communities focusing on responsible and sustainable change.

The purpose of this international project is to build a clinic from the ground up and operationalize it for immediate sustainability so that patients can be treated while we are there and after we leave. Move Together, the municipality of the town, and town leaders, including the mayor, are accompanying and partnering with one another for this sustainable project of compassion for the people of Villa Nueva. The municipality has set aside funds for construction and for the salary of the local therapists and student interns to provide treatments throughout the year and in the years to come. In addition to the folks on the ground in Villa Nueva, 21 other individuals will be accompanying me on this leg of the journey from across the United States in varying professions and stages of life.

June to 4th of July ~ Anticipated Travels in the Northeast United States
4th of July weekend finds me in the Washington, D.C area for a friend’s wedding. The journey leading up to my arrival in the D.C. area is still to be fully actualized, but I do have some thoughts. If you are interested in joining me and/or live in the path and would like to catch-up, please reach out.

Columbus, OH ~ Cleveland, OH (Baseball Game) ~ Pittsburgh, PA (Baseball Game) ~ Shavertown, PA ~ Boston, MA (Baseball Game) ~ Washington, D.C. Area (Baseball Game: Baltimore)

Experiencing a Major League Baseball game in all the various parks is something that if time allows and opportunities presents itself, I would like to accomplish. Interestingly, the friend whose wedding I am attending at the end of this leg has been to 5 MLB parks with me and 1 or 2 Triple-A Minor League parks. We have a souvenir foul ball from a Triple-A game that we pass back and forth.

July ~ Kenya, Tanzania, & Zambia with Fr. John Judie Ministries
Fr. John and his ministries truly embrace accompaniment and walking with those in Africa. Fr. John Judie Ministries, Inc. is a non-profit organization whose goal is to conduct Christian ministry to the people of the world and, specifically, to the people of Kentuckiana and East Africa. His ministries provide assistance to the people of East Africa in four major areas: Clothing, Education, Clergy Support, and Formation. The ministry is active in Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, and Rwanda. In Rwanda, he has established the Mother of Good Counsel Rehabilitation Center, which provides health care and education for orphans and disabled children. Over the course of the travels, 5 others will be accompanying me from Southern Indiana and Louisville.

August ~ Zambia and/or Southeastern United States Travels
Who is open for an adventure and experiencing life in Zambia? I am looking to stay longer in Zambia potentially working with two other organizations in Lusaka and going on some adventures to experience the marvels of creation. Adventure possibilities include white water rafting, safari, and waterfalls. Other experiences may also be included depending on the interests of others and the available time. If you have suggestions or would like to join me, please let me know as soon as possible.

Depending on the length of time planned in Zambia and flight itineraries, I may spend the mid- to latter-part of August in the Southeastern United States with possibilities in Georgia (Atlanta & Savannah) and Northern Florida. Yes, I am open to a baseball game at the new stadium in Atlanta. Thankfully, I was blessed last spring to catch-up with a friend and experience Turner Field before it closed.


Would you like to accompany me on this summer journey? Here are some opportunities:
Thoughts, prayers, and emotional support for planning, openness, health, guidance, safety, and I am sure many other things for not only me but all those who will be accompanying me or come across my path.

Are you in the Northeast or would you like to explore the Northeast? Do you like baseball? Let me know.

Who has vacation time not planned and up for a journey full of adventure and culture in Zambia? Come join me in early August. Let me know asap, if interested.

Are you in the Southeast, Atlanta/Savannah, Georgia or Northern Florida specifically? Let me know, and we can see where things fall with this potential portion of the journey.

Do you have equipment and/or supplies that could help equip the clinic in Villa Nueva? Let me know what you have or I can provide a list of needed items.

Do you have clothes, shoes, and/or small kids toys that you would like to share with those in Guatemala or Africa? Let me know.

Do you have a bag that can either be left or one that could fold nicely into my other bag for return, such as an army duffle, to transport the above mentioned items?

Do you feel led to help defray the costs of the humanitarian components of the journey? Your support is greatly appreciated. Here are some details and associated costs.
Expenses
            Guatemala
                        $1,200: Lodging, food, and transportation (Need by May 1)
                        $620: Flight
            Africa
~ $750 to $1,500: Lodging, food, non-flight transportation,
and local community support (4 to 7 weeks) (Need by June 10)
~ $1,500 to $2,000: Flights
$280: Visas
                        Total Approximate Expenses
                                    ~ $4,100 to $5,600

Notes
-          For additional information and address for sending donations, please email me.
-          The Africa trip is still in the planning stages and acquiring full knowledge of expenses, but I have indicated current approximate minimum and maximum costs.
-          Preference would be checks in order to not incur processing fees. Therefore, I have not setup a GoFundMe account or other comparable avenues for donation.
-          Any donations addressed to the specific organizations over $250 will receive a tax donation receipt.

Thank you for accompanying me on this journey in spirit, physically, and/or financially! Your support and encouragement places a smile on my face and in my heart! It also has a ripple effect on my future, your future, and the future of so many others in this world. Your accompaniment in my life and the lives of others has led to this point and that effect will continue forward in ways unknown for years to come. Due to previous support and encouragement, I spent New Year’s 2015 in Guatemala where I met Efosa, a co-founder of Move Together. That is only a small glimpse of your influence on my life and the lives of so many in this world. THANK YOU!

No comments: