Sunday, October 22, 2017

Georgetown College: Homecoming 2017 Reflection


            Our lives grow and transform within communities. In living life, we encounter, interact with, and become part of a variety of communities. The depth of the interaction varies from community to community based on our intentions, values, and vision and the values and vision of the community encountered. The relationships with the community and its members move along a continuum dependent on the circumstances and intentions involved by the varying individuals and community whole.
            I reflect on a community first encountered 23 years ago during the summer prior to my junior year of high school and relationships that have formed over those years. Summer of 1994, I visited Georgetown College with my cousin who was entering his senior year of high school. Of the schools we visited, Georgetown is the one that captured my attention. The following summer, I spent two weeks on campus as part of the Pre-Academic Experience in Math and Science program. Then fall of 1996, I arrived on campus as an incoming freshman to proceed to graduation in spring 2000. Seventeen years later, I continue to return to campus yearly for homecoming festivities and enjoy seeing where the community is, meeting new people, and cultivating past relationships.
            Reflecting back on the conversations of the day, a smile radiates from my inner soul and shines on my face. The Georgetown College community is more than a community. It is a family that loves, cares for, and walks with its members day in and day out. Times have not always been easy, but those family members who believe in the true vision of Georgetown College continue to stand steadfast and make a difference.
            The relationships formed at Georgetown College pre, during, and post attendance have no boundaries. The lovely thing about a small liberal arts campus is you get to know a lot of people whom you never had class with and who you may have only met at gatherings like Homecoming. I spoke in depth with nine professors only having had two in class and another I knew but did not interact with during my undergraduate years. I engaged with administrators and staff, whom have only arrived since I graduated. Of course, there are fellow alumni members, who I knew in undergrad or have met afterwards. Lastly, there are encounters with current students. I enjoyed meeting up with a current student, who I have known for about 9 years now. She started last year, 20 years after I, and is also now a sorority sister. It is great to walk with her and experience Georgetown through her eyes 20 years later.
            The day was beautiful in many ways from weather to relationships. I enjoyed reminiscing on times of old, catching-up on the lives of many, hearing the amazing things happening on campus, and being inspired by alumni, faculty, staff, and students. I also missed some usual faces and conversations. I never know what awaits when I arrive for homecoming festivities, but I always leave with a smile on my face and joy in my heart from the reconnections and new connections. It encourages me to continue going out sharing in God’s love and compassion as we all make a small rippling difference in this world. Thanks to the entire Georgetown College family from fellow alumni, faculty, staff, administrators, and current students!

No comments: