Friday, November 28, 2014

Cascada Aventuras y Aventuras en Antigua, Guatemala

To conclude our trip, we took a trip to the local waterfall followed by a trip to Antigua, Guatemala for some cultural experiences. The waterfall reminded me once again of my childhood summers at the lake. How I miss swimming, skiing, relaxing, and letting go of life in the middle of the lake. 
Another great memory from the waterfall was a tree on the side of the walk up to the waterfall with an indentation in its side that one can get inside and be part of the tree. Yes a strange memory but one that has become a tradition as I travel the world. The first tree in which I found myself inside was in Australia Summer of 1999 and then when I was in Ghana in 2008, I found myself inside another tree. From then on, I decided to be on the lookout for trees in which I can get inside and be part of. One day, I will put together a collage of me inside trees.

Antigua was an amazing day and half journey as well. The first half day was spent getting acquainted with the town and shopping at the market. Not a lot drew me in, but I did find a king to add to my international nativity scene. (an updated post to come) I purchased some maracas for the KBs boys and a woven hoodie, along with a few other items. We enjoyed some delicious ice cream. I had queso fresa (cheese & strawberry) and pina colada.
On our arrival Friday, July 25th, we were introduced to a local holiday and weekend of celebrations, as they celebrated the day of Saint James. The first capital of Guatemala was founded nearby in now Lximche. It was originally named Ciudad de Santiago de los Caballeros de Goathemalan (City of St James of the Knights of Guatemala), which became the patron saint of the city. The capital moved to present-day San Miguel Escobar after uprisings in Lximche. San Miguel was then devastated on September 11, 1541 by lahar from Volcan de Agua. This destruction moved the capital to current day Antigua, also naming it Santiago de los Caballeros. After two large earthquakes in 1717 & 1773, the Spanish Crown in 1776 ordered the capital to be moved once again to the now Guatemala City (the Valley of the Shrine). 

Saturday, we visited several historical sites beginning with the Convento de Capuchinas or true name Nuestra Senora del Pilar de Zaragoza (Our Lady of the Pillar of Saragossa) constructed in 1736. It housed a group of cloistered nuns who ran an orphanage and women’s hospital. An interior area called the ‘Torre del Retiro’ (Tower of Retreat) housed 18 nuns around a circular patio. Underneath also was an amazing echo chamber, which some of our young adults and youth sharing their beautiful voices for all to hear inside and out.
After a little break, a group then headed up to Cerro de la Cruz (Hill of the Cross). The hill is located north of the city with a large cross atop of it providing beautiful views of the city to the south toward Volcan Agua (Volcano of Water), one of three volcanoes surrounding the city. To the west of the city are the other two volcanoes, Acatenango (last erupted in 1972) and Volcan de Fuego (Volcano of Fire). Fuego is constantly active with the last larger eruption in September 2012. Definitely amazing views atop the hill with the large cross looking over the city. 

            Thanks for journeying along with me and others as we experience the life and culture of Guatemala.

Fotos de Nuestras Aventuras en Zacapa, Guatemala (Photos of Our Adventures in Zacapa, Guatemala)

Fotos de Nuestras Aventuras in Antigua, Guatemala (Photos of Our Adventures in Antigua, Guatemala)

No comments: