Sunday, July 5, 2015

Relaciones en el Camino de la Vida en Guatemala


Relationships on Life’s Journey in Guatemala

We are all on a journey through life. The journey may be near or far, nonetheless an integral part of the journey comes from the people we encounter day in and day out. As Thomas Merton said, “Do not depend on the hope of results… In the end, it is the reality of personal relationship that saves everything.” The relationships we build with the community, the other volunteers, and the organizers make a profound effect on the difference being made. The encounter with another does not have to be lengthy or continuous. It only takes a simple smile, a listening ear, a concerned heart, a loving soul, and/or a seeking mind to change the world. Each experience short or long happens for a reason as we are all connected and part of something larger.

This latest New Year’s journey to Guatemala included several circumstances of connection that will impact my life forever. On Monday morning, Keely and I went with the physical therapy (PT) students to Gualan. Gualan houses the Hearts in Motion (HIM) Nutrition Center, Orphanage, and future Adult Day Care Center in one complex and where the July 2014 team had spent a lot of time. As I showed Keely around explaining the work we had completed in July, I came across a young American woman who looked familiar. As she approached, we began conversing and she provided her name, Emily, which rang a bell, but I was confused as all the Americans from our first trip to my knowledge had returned to the States. I finally asked, “Where you here in July?” Emily responded, “Yes!” and finally the light bulb went off in both of our heads. Emily, along with another lady named Rachel, had been spending their summer in Zacapa at the Nutrition Center caring for the children. Rachel & Emily returned back to the States with us and had therefore joined us for the closing Fiesta in Zacapa as well as our trip to Antigua back in July 2014. Emily had returned to spend her Christmas holiday from teaching, assisting at the Nutrition Center and again would be returning to Antigua and the States with us.

Emily has an amazing heart for children and God’s people. Though our first encounter five months ago was brief and not in depth, this journey together, especially the ride to Antigua and time in Antigua, was an amazing blessing. Our life journeys though unique to us had remarkable similar characteristics, beliefs, and struggles. The ability to share with one another, I know made me a stronger individual and gave me new insights into the future. Our relationship has continued thanks to email and Facebook, and I know her future endeavors are grand but attainable with her caring heart.

The relationship with Emily was not the only rekindled friendship from July. The smiles of recognition from the HIM team and the reconnection with the children from Gualan made my heart skip a beat. Each individual had already made a significant impact in my life, and I couldn’t wait to see what was next. Indeed, the time spent with the HIM team throughout the week and the children on Monday blessed my life more than I can ever imagine.

Not only was this trip about past relationships, but a lot of new people were brought into my life. The bonding, Eric, Klaus, and I had in putting together Carlito’s wheelchair. The personal physical therapy and education on PT received. The impact four ladies had in mixing concrete for the floor of Carlito’s family home. The conversations about faith and physical therapy had on the lengthy trip to the mountains and back. The welcoming conversations and adventures shared with the Washington University of Saint Louis staff and students as we flew back to the States together. These are only a few of the incredible experiences with the PT students and locals, but there is one more awe-inspiring story to share.

I met a young man, Efosa, who was in Zacapa working with HIM but not tied to the various volunteer groups currently in town. Efosa was not quite a month into an eight month journey across the world with a guiding motto I Lead by Serving, and I Serve to Lead. Check out the link to hear more. As he journeys across the world, he looks to “treat, teach, learn, and grow.” He is planting seeds in others as well as himself that will grow and bloom into a world of people leading and supporting one another to become guiding forces towards a positive difference, especially in the realm of physical therapy. It is no mere coincidence that our paths crossed at this time in life and in Guatemala. His enthusiasm, passion, and servant leadership encourages me to continue pursuing ways to guide and encourage others to hear that servant heart within and to explore what really makes them joyful in life.

If you, your family, and/or friends are in the physical therapy profession, I encourage you to check out Physical Therapy Haven founded by Efosa in order to provide an opportunity for therapists to share their experiences of service and engage in fruitful dialogue about the profession throughout the world. I have shared with PTs in my circle and have heard nothing but kudos so enjoy.

The relationships we build in life definitely impact our lives today and in the future. If you really stop to think, you will realize how someone or some particular experience has brought you to where you are today. It is no coincidence. Remember that ever moment of your day is a unique gift from God so embrace it. Thanks to Efosa for that final thought!

No comments: