Wednesday, May 13, 2015

15 Years Ago: A Reflection on the Collegiate Years



The journey of life continues forward day after day, but sometimes it is worth taking a step back to reflect on the past journey. Today, I stop to reflect on life 15 years ago. On May 13, 2000, a portion of the journey concluded and opened up the door for the next phase.

So what is it about May 13, 2000 and the day prior? These are two days in which I will never forget as an amazing 4-year journey came to an incredible and unimaginable end as I graduated from Georgetown College. I think about the time spent waiting in the quad and catching up with classmates, friends, professors, and staff awaiting the start of Baccalaureate, the horrible thunderstorm that rolled through late Friday night into Saturday morning forcing graduation inside, the calls that rolled in Saturday morning seeking me to get graduation moved outdoors again, being uncertain of how things were to work now that we were inside instead of out, sitting on the graduation stage, and presenting the Senior Class gift leaving out the only joke I had. These are only a few of the stories from those two days that were preceded by so many magnificent opportunities and individuals who challenged, encouraged, and supported me along the way.

If 4-years prior you had told me that I would be kicking off an amazing tradition at Georgetown College Senior Dinner and then presenting the Senior Class gift on stage at graduation, I would have responded that you are clueless and insane. But indeed 4-years after graduating from high school, I found myself on stage at the Baccalaureate dinner Friday evening and then again the next morning during the graduation ceremony. So how did I end up on stage speaking at graduation? It was not by my own abilities or seeking the opportunity. Through the grace of God, life fell into place and led to this opportunity.

My faith and relationship with Christ grew through my years at Georgetown and is what kept me from leaving Georgetown Freshman year along with the amazing people I had met. During those first years, Dawn, Darren, Becca, Jackie, Alisa, Martha, and so many more kept the faith in me, challenged me, encouraged me, and supported me through the ups and downs of life. Thanks to Dawn and Darren, I came out of my shell to share my faith journey with peers at Fellowship of Christian Athletes, FCA. As they graduated, they handed the reigns of FCA over to Josh, Kimberly, Susan, and I to lead into the coming years. As I decided to stop playing collegiate basketball, Allison and others encouraged me to get involved in student government. This encouragement plus others led to me being in the position on May 13, 2000 to present the Senior Class gift at graduation. In addition to these involvements junior year, I was selected to join Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society. The selection into ODK has changed my life in many ways. First of all, I found myself up in front of a group of people speaking at a local small conference and then again senior year at the national convention. Involvement in ODK, speaking in front of groups of people, and organizing larger events did not stop upon graduating but continue today. Outside of these organizations, a remarkable mission couple on campus and our campus minister, Sharon, made a lasting impact on my life as they shared their life experiences and encouraged me to follow my heart into missions. Between senior and junior year, I had a once in a lifetime experience doing sports ministry work in Perth, Western Australia. The Australian journey would not have been possible without the support of so many within the Georgetown community and outside. Also, thanks goes out to the Kentucky team, Jennifer, Jeremiah, and Lisa for their faith in me sharing my life story with the community at our last church service in Australia. These are only a few of the many things and many people who influenced and touched my life while at Georgetown leading to me sitting on stage at graduation on May 13, 2000. And the thing is their influence and touch does not stop there but continues today in the daily decisions I make.

My prayer for you is that you allow for your heart, mind, and soul to be open to those around you allowing their love, encouragement, support to influence and guide your life as you become an outstanding person and impact the lives of so many others with your own love, generosity, and encouragement!

Special thanks to all of those who have influenced my life past, present, and in the future!

No comments: